WASHINGTON— On Wednesday, Rep. Chip Roy (TX-21) issued the following statement in response to the Texas Heartbeat Bill going into effect:
I am even prouder than usual to be a Texan today. Early this morning, Texas became the first state in the nation to protect unborn children from abortion after they have a detectable heartbeat.
But, any woman facing an unplanned pregnancy should know that they are valued and cared for just as much. There are extensive resources available to support pregnant women who choose life for their babies.
A county-by-county directory of services, including healthcare and adoption agencies, is available here. You can also dial 2-1-1 for information.
Texas’ Alternatives to Abortion program provides support to pregnant women and their families by offering the following services:
- Counseling, mentoring, educational information and classes on pregnancy, parenting, adoption, and life skills and employment readiness.
- Material assistance, such as car seats, clothing, diapers, and formula
- Care coordination through referrals to government assistance programs and other social services programs
- Call center for information and appointment scheduling
- Housing support services through maternity homes