WASHINGTON – Senate Judiciary Committee Ranking Member Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) gave remarks in opposition to the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) during this week’s committee hearing on the proposed amendment.
- GRAHAM: “Why would this amendment be so soundly rejected? Because this amendment would lead to chaos.” https://youtu.be/GiUzrDhzE6M?t=121
- GRAHAM: “This amendment would punish women who are trying to play sports fairly. This amendment would give the court the ability to strike down every pro-life measure passed by the states.” https://youtu.be/GiUzrDhzE6M?t=127
- GRAHAM: “The people who are pushing politically to pass this are hanging their hat on if it became law, every pro-life measure in this country would fall…So if there is a law in a state, pick a state, that says a biological male cannot compete against females, would that law be subject to being struck down if the ERA was passed?” https://youtu.be/GiUzrDhzE6M?t=230
- GRAHAM: “Most Americans would be really upset to have a constitutional amendment that would do the things we are talking about – mandate abortion on demand up to the moment of birth. That’s what it would do and the people pushing it – that’s what they want.” https://youtu.be/GiUzrDhzE6M?t=324
- GRAHAM: “I think a majority of Senators do not want a constitutional amendment that requires abortion on demand up to the moment of birth. I think most members of the House and most members of the Senate would be offended by a law, a constitutional amendment, mandating that biological males can take over girls sports. That’s why this amendment would fail so miserably.” https://youtu.be/GiUzrDhzE6M?t=370